Friday, March 27, 2015

A Status Update

A New Job


As you all probably know, I was recently added to the FTB Modpack Development team. This is the position that was previously occupied by Jadedcat and Eyamaz, but is now occupied by me and tfox. Basically, that means I'll be working on all the official FTB Packs. I've been helping out with Infinity, Mage Quest, as well as being in charge of several of the new packs about to come down the line.

A New Project


As well, due to his work at FTB, tfox has been forced to stop development on his modpack, the popular Dark Trilogy. However, he's recruited me to maintain it. I'll be going through and updating the mods in it for my first update (yay Thermal Dynamics!), and then afterward, I'll attempt to expand the pack.

A New Story


I've been participating in the Phoenix Team's roleplaying server, Project: Renascintis. I won't go into detail about it here, but I play two characters: Astharus, the God of Death and Evil, as well as Lilith, a reluctant Vampire. I've maintaining the pack for that in my free time, as well as playing as my two characters when the story requires.

A New Rebirth


I'm also working on reworking Phoenix Reborn. Although I enjoyed making the pack, it didn't end up quite how I would have liked. I'm going to be completely redoing everything from the ground up. The general progression from the Wooden Age to Stone Age and etcetera will continue, as well as the gating of ores behind dimensions. However, there were things I didn't like about the pack, so I'll be making sure to remove, or at least edit those.

The update will probably break worlds, which, although it's something I'd like to avoid, is unavoidable. I will, however, not push it to recommended until I have made sure no more world resets will be required in the near future.

It's going to be interesting. It's planned to make use of several new mods that will allow me to prevent people from crafting certain things until they do certain things. I'll draw out the early game to make it about farming and Botania, doing that before you can actually make a pickaxe (or at least one capable of mining Iron). After that, I'm planning of making use of quite a few more dimensions in terms of the progression.

And you probably know that I don't like AE. Don't worry - I'm not removing it from Phoenix Reborn. I'm just going to remove all the terminals allowing you to access items in the network. That way you can still do stuff with it, but it might get a little more difficult. I know you're all going to hate me for that, but it's going to challenge you to think outside the box when using AE, just like how Phoenix Reborn has made you think outside the box when only limited to a couple types of ore for each dimension.

As well, there were several scenarios in Phoenix Reborn in which you needed to progress a long way through a single mod to do something, and then never use that mod again. That will change. If I'm making you use a mod, expect to be continuing to use it in the future.

A New Ending


Here comes the sad portion of our blog post. For many reasons, I will be discontinuing the Running Red series. The first is the workload. I've tried as hard as I can to balance all the packs I have currently so that I can keep them all updated, but I had to stretch myself to my limits to keep everything up to date. Between Pathfinder, Phoenix Reborn, [REDACTED FTB PACK], Dark Trilogy, Running Red, Renascintis, Running Red 2, and the unreleased RR: Descent, as well as the numerous pack ideas I've had but never brought to fruition, not to mention all the pack development I do offhand for the Phoenix Team and the FTB Team - I'm starting to not have time to keep thing up to date anymore. As you've probably already noticed - all of the Running Reds have fallen far behind. Every mod within them is out of date, and they haven't been updated in months.

As well, I made those packs when I felt depressed. They served as an outlet for what I was feeling - better I took action via my modpacks than in real life. I used them, especially Running Red 2, to vent what I was feeling. And you know what? It worked. The friends I found in the Modded Minecraft community and the ability to share my feelings via the Running Red packs changed my entire outlook on life. I don't feel depressed at all anymore.

And that serves a problem. I created the packs from my depression. I would write the stories when I felt bad, and then transfer them into quests. Each idea I had stemmed from something I thought about when feeling bad. The series helped me to cope and get better. But now that I am better, I don't know what to do. I can't think of anything solid for the series. I've tried several times to sit down and write the quests and implement new mechanics, but every time, I've been stopped. I lacked any inspiration, and inspiration is what made up the core of the pack. The music of My Chemical Romance inspired me to share how I felt, and that's been a huge influence on the packs. But I don't feel quite the pull to the series I've felt before.

So, I'm discontinuing the Running Reds. It's possible, depending on how things turn out, that I would continue them again. But the lack of time to work on them and the lack of the ability at all to write for them has left me without much of a choice. It was either to make the announcement that I would stop them, or let them sink into the depths of un-updated modpacks. I would rather be upfront about their status rather than hide it.

A New Schedule


So, I've planned out what I'll be doing for the next few weeks. Over the next week, I'll be working on the Phoenix Reborn update. After that, Dark Trilogy, then Pathfinder and whatever else needs updating.

So, there you have it. That's my plan. This is me keeping you up to date with what I plan to do.

3 comments:

  1. Yay Phoenix Reborn! I haven't played for ages since I'm at the point where there's not much left for me to do. A new start would be awesome, with new things to do! Definitely looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the new content. One thing though. Was wondering if there was anything that could be done about servers crashing from flying too quickly across map. ( loading chunks too quickly ) It seems that even if I dumb down my video settings to minimum level that it still will boot me from a sever from loading too quickly. Aside from that issue I love all of the additions. Minecraft seems to be coming quite a ways from vanilla patch. best regards- and happy dev ventures. Thank you for putting time into this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete